The Caribbean menu at Turtle Bay continues to be the restaurant’s main draw, thanks to the world-class quality of the dishes, desserts and drinks. Here are a few things that you may want to know about the Caribbean cuisine so as to gain a better appreciation for its tastes, textures, and flavors.
The Caribbean region is characterized by verdant islands surrounded by emerald waters with large populations of marine animals from fishes to invertebrates, such as shrimps, octopuses, and squids. It comes as no surprise that the region’s cuisine is known for the abundant use of seafood especially in its savoury dishes.
A few examples from Turtle Bay’s menu include:
- Chili Squid, spiced coated squid fried to a crispy exterior and served with mango mole, coriander mayo and fresh lime
- Jerk Pit Prawn, whole shell-on grilled king prawns served with chili garlic butter and flatbread
- Grilled Prawn Salad, whole jerk pit king prawns with dressed rocket, sugar snaps, mango, avocado, baby gem, onion and citrus dressing with herb butter
- Kingston Salmon Toastie, flaked salmon fillet with cheddar cheese, goat cheese, and rocket served with garlic butter-toasted bread, Caribbean slaw and fries, and West Indian hot sauce
If you are watching your fat intake, then you should consider these seafood dishes since these provide healthy fats, as well as fill your stomach with goodness.
Jerk refers to a very spicy wet or dry rub applied to meats like chicken, pork, and beef. After the meat has been marinated, it is ether grilled or smoked to perfection to produce a fiery dish.
In Turtle Bay’s menu, you will find these jerk food:
- ½ Jerk Chicken, which involves marinating the chicken for 24 hours in a spiced rub and then grilled to get its best flavours. This is served with Caribbean coleslaw as well as a choice between rice ‘n peas or French fries.
- Jerk Chicken Wrap, which consists of pulled chicken, crunchy slaw, and sweet potato with a dash of hot sauce. These are stuffed into a tomato wrap before being served with either a dressed salad or spiced fries.
- Jerk Chicken Bun, which has pulled jerk chicken, lettuce, herb mayo, sweet onion chutney, and Caribbean slaw sandwich between a sweet bun and served with either a mixed salad or fries.
You should also try the pulled pork dishes and burgers; the one pot dishes like Curry, Shrimp and Mango as well as the Caribbean Curry Fish; and pudding dishes like the Spiced Chocolate Pot. You can never have too much of good food, after all.