Nandos is most famous for their Peri-Peri Chicken which has a flavor that is so addictive. Some say that it’s because they marinate their chicken overnight and that makes the flavor sink right to the bone. Others are saying that it’s because of the regular basting with Nando’s Peri-Peri sauce while the chicken sizzles. Still there are others who say that it’s because of the butterfly-grilling that they do on an open flame.
The real reason will remain a mystery because nobody really bothers to ask. When people get to Nando’s, everyone is just too busy enjoying and eating their chicken. While they continue to keep their recipe a secret, here are 11 other facts that will be interesting to know about this restaurant.
- Nando’s is not just a place for great tasting Peri-Peri Chicken it is a place where you can enjoy South African culture and artistry as Nando’s restaurants in the United Kingdom is home to more than 3,000 pieces of South African art. That’s 2,500 more than Tate Britain’s total display.
- The biggest Nando’s store is in Westfield Stratford in London. So in case you would like to host a part for a horde of friends and family members that’s where you should be heading.
- The Nando’s restaurants that are nearest the equator can be found in Singapore. There, the Peri-Peri Chicken is still making a lot of customers sizzle even though they have been used to the hot summer sun.
- If you hear one of the crew members calling their head manager at a Nando’s store “Patrao”, that word means “Head of the House” in Portuguese. Nando’s management considers every restaurant as a house where all its crew is treated like family. That is why they don’t want to use impersonal titles like “manager”
- Everyone thought that “Peri” in the word “Peri-Peri” was said twice to put emphasis on the great spicy taste of the exotic chicken flavor. Actually, “Peri-Peri” is Swahili for the African Bird’s Eye Chili.
- Wilbur Scoville, an American scientist, invented the Scoville Scale in 1912 which is a device that measures a chili’s heat. Peri-Peri goes beyond the scale and that is why at Nando’s they had to invent the Peri-ometer to accommodate the heat generated by the Peri-Peri flavor.
- Nando’s at Arlington Row is the favorite meal place for a lot of people working at the Pentagon. The spicy Peri-Peri chicken is one of the things that’s keeping them all fired up.
- The very first Nando’s restaurant was put up in Johannesburg, South Africa. That store is still there today and is as popular since it opened.
- The biggest South African artwork that Nando’s is keeping is 3 by 18 meters in size. You can see it at Nando’s Kings Cross in London. The artwork weighs 2 tons.
- The Nando’s store that greets the morning sun earliest is the store located in the Fiji Islands. They get to enjoy the Peri-Peri chickens earlier than everybody else around the globe.
- In the hot sauce category, Nando’s is rated Number 1 in the United Kingdom and South Africa.
There are probably other companies that have stumbled on an amazing product such as the Peri-Peri flavor but most of them have faded over the years because they lack something which Nando’s is most abundant with; lasting passion. If you go to any Nando’s store you will notice that everyone is as excited to introduce and promote their Peri-Peri discovery. It is as if they only discovered it a few days ago.
In 2010, Nando’s was named as the best company to work for in the United Kingdom. So now we know that it is not just about the chicken. It’s the whole Nando’s family that making all the magic. Now, that’s hard to beat!