Our hair is made up of a protein called Keratin. This amino acid keeps the hair strands strong and lustrous; however, when your hair is damaged, dry, frizzy, or naturally curly, the keratin in your hair strands is usually weaker. This can make your hair harder to style and manage.
If you want to minimize the time that you spend in drying and styling your hard-to-tame hair, you should get a keratin treatment. Here are some of the most common keratin treatments that are available in salons:
- Soft Keratin Treatment – If you love your curls, but have a difficult time in managing them, this treatment is right for you. It gently eliminates your hair’s frizz while keeping your curls and waves intact.
In applying this treatment, the stylist would coat your hair with the solution from root to tip. Then, she would seal the treatment with a blow-dryer and flat iron. After getting this treatment, you can enjoy shiny and manageable curls for up to two months.
- Brazilian Keratin Treatment – This treatment is ideal for very curly hair. It eliminates frizz and smoothens the hair while keeping its original volume. The essential oils and cocoa butter in this treatment deeply conditions the hair and protects it from damage.
Applying this treatment lasts for an hour and it has the same procedure as the soft keratin treatment. The treatment acts fast and allows you to wash and style your hair on the same day. Also, its results may last from three to six months.
- Japzilian Keratin Treatment – If you plan to have your curls straightened, but worry that your hair will become dry and damaged, this is the perfect treatment for you. Japzilian combines Brazilian keratin treatment with traditional Japanese straightening perm. The Japanese perm is really effective in straightening hair; however it leaves the hair dry. A keratin treatment can keep your hair conditioned after getting a perm.
After applying the Brazilian treatment, the stylist will coat your hair with Japanese straight perm solution. This process may last from three to four hours.
- Keratin Express Treatment – This is the simplest, fastest, and most affordable treatment that can give you a shiny, soft, and manageable hair. It can eliminate frizz, reduce the volume of your hair, and strengthen your hair strands. It only takes 45 minutes to apply this treatment. Its results usually last for around 4 to 6 weeks.
You should choose the one that is right for your hair type. Just remember that a good keratin treatment should have the following characteristics:
- Eliminates or reduces frizz
- Nourishes the scalp and hair
- Protects the hair from harsh elements
- Keeps the hair shiny and soft
- Can be used with other styling
Treating yourself with a Keratin treatment at least twice a year can make your unruly hair become shinier, softer, and easier to manage. If you are still not sure on which Keratin treatment you should get, you can get an advice from the stylists in salons like Headmasters or Tony and Guy.